2 May 2014

UK & EI Contest Club

The UKEICC are pleased to announce that the free sign-up for membership of the club is now open. The club exists to encourage and improve HF contesting across the British Isles and Ireland. If you would you would like to join up then please follow this link and sign-up.


http://www.ukeicc.com/become-a-member


You can also check out their FAQ page using the link below


http://www.ukeicc.com/faq


I'm not a member of this Club as of yet as I really hope they reconsider the VHF/UHF contester.
I must say that I do enjoy HF contesting as it was actually where I learnt about the world of Radio Sport.
I will say this though, nothing prepares you more for radio contesting than a nice pile up within the white noise under heavy QRM/QRN on any of VHF/UHF bands, where propagation can disappear in any moment and you have to copy a lot more information than on most HF contests such as a Callsign, RST + Serial + "Locator" in some contests in the UK even a Postcode. The extra bit of info is mostly the maidenhead Locator and this info is 99% of the time different for every contact and essential for you to get correct to secure a 100% QSO.
Most HF contests are 59(9) + Serial and maybe a CQ / ITU zone or a IOTA number which is predicted in most logging Softwares nowadays. I personally think you need extra skills to be a VHF/UHF contester, fair enough the number of OSO's or distances may not be the same but certainly the challenges far outweigh some of the HF contests that I have been on.

I hope this club manages to achieve what it sets out to achieve in the FAQ's at least another voice and media source for contesters and contest promotion can only be a good thing.


73's DE EI5IX / M0XII - Pat


No comments: