2 Jan 2011

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2011

Hi Everyone, Apologies for not been too active on my blog throughout 2010 but one of my New Years resolutions is to become more active on Amateur Radio and also give as much information as I can here on my blog!!!

So here we are 2011, here we go for another one of these things us humans call a new year, just another chance for us to get it right :-)

So an update whats going on in my planet, I'm still living in London in the UK working within the broadcast industry and don't get much time to be on Radio at all these days, but good news I'm getting a new radio soon, something for VHF / UHF so I should be more active on 6m, 4m, 2m, 70cm and ill even give 23cm a shot.
This will be a change for me as I only used VHF and UHF before for local repeaters and local simplex contacts and maybe the odd DX contest or opening on 6 meters but times have changed due to the environment I now live in. You wont get away with a 4 square for 80 meters in Central London and even if you did you probably would have to decipher a G3 station up the road out of S9 +30 db of noise.... No not nice :-) So with that VHF & UHF are my new bands.

I must say I am also really enjoying my time on EchoLink these days and the IPhone application is absolutely fantastic as I can now link to a local end in Castlebar, Co.Mayo in the West of Ireland EI7CRG-L - From there I can now talk to my Dad EI9JA and some of my friends at home in the west of Ireland, EI9JS, EI2GCB, EI6IZ, EI7IX, EI3IX, EI7FAB, EI4GHB EI5CYB, EI3GYB, EI7IQ just name a few. This is fantastic technology and I think its great for the future of Amateur Radio, the more accessible amateur radio is or even the more user friendly it is to people, will make the hobby more interesting and will generate more people who want to get involved in our fantastic hobby during this Internet / social networking era.

Anyway here's to a New Year and I hope the best of 2010 is the Worst of 2011 for one and all!!!

73's for the moment...

No comments: